Navigating the Challenges: Mets’ Bullpen Struggles Amidst a Grueling Schedule
Mets Face Pitching Crisis Amidst Gripping May Stretch
By Laura Albanese, Newsday
WASHINGTON — The game is chess, and for the New York Mets, the pieces are disappearing off the board. Manager Carlos Mendoza is acutely aware of the precarious situation his team faces as they navigate a grueling stretch of 16 consecutive games.
Despite a glimmer of success this May, including a thrilling extra-inning victory over the Nationals on Monday, the Mets are grappling with a shadow that looms over their achievements. The toll of overworked pitchers became painfully evident during their 8-4 loss to the Nationals on Wednesday, a game that saw Mendoza forced to make difficult decisions on the fly.
After Monday’s win, Mendoza spent a tense 15 minutes strategizing with President of Baseball Operations David Stearns about how to survive the upcoming nine-game stretch. The immediate solution involved extending the shaky performance of Nolan McLean and relying heavily on Daniel Duarte, who pitched the final 2⅓ innings in Tuesday’s loss.
Wednesday’s game brought further challenges. Lefty Zach Thornton, called up to start, struggled to find his rhythm, lasting just 4⅓ innings while allowing four runs. The bullpen door swung open once again, with Austin Warren and veteran Craig Kimbrel stepping in, the latter enduring the longest outing of his 17-year career.
As the Mets grapple with their pitching depth, the question looms: how long can they sustain this level of strain? Mendoza acknowledged the delicate balance of managing high-leverage relievers in games that seem destined for defeat. “We’re making compromises,” he admitted, highlighting the ongoing struggle to keep the team afloat.
Thursday’s series finale against the Nationals presents yet another challenge. David Peterson, who has fared better with an opener, will not have that luxury, a decision aimed at preserving the beleaguered bullpen. Each day brings new equations and contingency plans, as the Mets scramble to patch together a pitching staff stretched thin.
The bullpen has been resilient, but Mendoza is acutely aware of the risks of overuse. “I’m waiting to see how some of the guys are feeling today after they play catch,” he said, emphasizing the importance of communication and understanding within the team.
As of Wednesday, the Mets’ bullpen had logged 200⅔ innings, ranking fifth in Major League Baseball. The sustainability of this workload remains in question, especially as injuries and inefficiencies plague the starting rotation. The absence of Clay Holmes, who broke his leg last Friday, has compounded the issue, leaving the Mets scrambling for reliable arms.
While some pitchers have shown flashes of brilliance, consistency remains elusive. The hope is that one or more of them will step up to ease the burden on the bullpen. Until then, the Mets can only plug the holes and hope to stay afloat until their next off day on May 28.
In the midst of this turmoil, some unsung heroes have emerged. Huascar Brazoban, a 36-year-old right-hander who made his major-league debut just last year, has been instrumental in the team’s survival. With a 1.85 ERA over 24⅓ innings, Brazoban has taken on various roles, proving invaluable in high-pressure situations.
“That’s our job,” Brazoban said through an interpreter. “We go out there to compete. Everybody has been doing their job.”
With the return of A.J. Minter from the injured list on the horizon, there’s a glimmer of hope. However, the Mets must tread carefully, ensuring they don’t push their pitchers to the brink of injury.
As Mendoza returns to his metaphorical chessboard after each game, he surveys the fallen pieces and contemplates the options at his disposal. With each passing day, the stakes rise, and the Mets must find a way to finish the game without losing more than they can afford.
